Sunday 13 March 2011

Telling people about my situation...

First of all, thank you for all the messages of support I've received since returning. From people in a similar situation to me, but also quite a few real women who are interested In my transition (thank you in particular to Rachel and Katie for the compliments on my clothes, although most of them are chosen for me!)

I had no idea so many of you actually looked forward to my posts. It's really sweet. Thank you

Reality is dawning.

I had awful nightmares last night (although I had the consolation of waking up in my cute Elle MacPherson nightie that Charlotte bought for me - see below) - about what people who don't already know about my journey will say when they find out what I'm working towards...well...a life in skirts and dresses.




The people who know so far are female friends of Charlotte (to whom I'm a complete novelty, and after the initial wariness, am sort of endearing to) and some male and female colleagues of Charlotte's at the law firm.

Charlotte told me her male colleagues think it's funny (one has already hit on her after finding out). Her female colleagues (most of whom have never met me) are completely intrigued, and ask her about me every day.

But what about MY friends?

I have lots of guy friends who have no idea what's going on. You would think my hair might give them a clue, but loads of guys have long hair these days, and it's always tied back when I see them, so they never see the styling.

Plus I have a few female friends who I'm sure would properly freak out if I told them.

The reaction from Charlotte's friends when they find out is ALWAYS the same.

Firstly shock and surprise...




Amusement, especially when they meet me again...




Curiosity, while trying to hide amusement...




Acceptance, which is always at the same time they realise you're no longer a threat...not a man, but a woman, like them...





Lots of questions, once again, with smiles and stifled laughter...




Then always a desire to help. An overly keen desire to help, particularly with clothes (especially dresses and skirts) like I'm a dress-up doll for their amusement...




Plus lots of questions for Charlotte...everything from her future plans ("are you going to date men?"), my past performance in the bedroom ("what was he like...?") through to simple emotional support for her ("are you okay?").

I think it says so much about how fantastic most women are that they always seem to end up wanting to assist in some way.

However, those responses have come from Charlotte's friends, many of whom don't know me very well. I'm sure my friends will react very differently.

So I guess the point of today's post is to ask for help...

Have any other sissies told their friends? How did they find out, and what was their reaction? How do you think I should break the news, sensitively (I don't want to just jump out in a little black dress and yell "surprise!").

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! xxx